Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Packaging Research.

Now I've nailed my concept, which will be on my design practice blog shortly, I decided to put together some ideas for packaging and what my product could be. I had a crit with Justin today, I basically outlined the idea that Obama is good because people can attach their own symbol to him, be it change (good or bad), hope, marxism, defeat, hype etc. and how I want to package Obama in these different ways. Justin suggested that what I was packaging and indeed the packaging it's self should be incredibly interactive to represent changeability of both what he can represent and indeed his own mantra of change. I agreed strongly with this, and he suggested what I've now found is called a paper "fortune teller" that children played with when they were little. I loved this, it was just the inspiration I needed. Below are fortune tellers or cootie "catchers" as those damn yanks call them. Also some wonderful interactive packaging and just some I like.




Cool, no? going to make some mock ups soon. Here's some cool packaging, all of which has something I want to implement.


This is by Sara Strand, They're all full colour and I imagine Litho-printed. I chose it for two reasons,
1. I like it when you print on card and earthy coloured paper stocks with a real grain to them.
2. The use of different colours to represent things seems like it could be very appropriate to my research. Overall the graphics are a bit cutesie for me, but still, nicely printed and again, different colours is something worth exploring.
I chose this Chew'd gum packaging design because I like the very illustratibe style, and illustration is something that I want to keep at the core of my practice. Also it colour codes like the one previously, which again seemed appropriate. Also it uses CMYK to do it, I'm a big fan of those core colours and how they work together.

These next 3 are by Burgopak, who I think just do really inventive packaging that always
seems to have a level of interactivity that goes above just opening a box etc. The one above has a two-way slide mechanism that I thought worked quite effectively. I also like the way the colours work together.
I thought that this was so cool, even though I hate smoking, though I have given it to Craig Laing for his Smoking is good project. I just love the sliding mechanism, I thought it was really
clever, and really thought about the proccess of getting a cigerette out of the packet.


Again, thought this one for the Baftas was just a really nicely packaged thing. I think the word BAFTA is embossed and maybe spot varnished? i don't know, I'll ask about that.


This design by Chris Chapman is a lovely and quirky way to package meet. I like how it uses the same format and varies the graphics to suit the object it contains, it's something to consider for packaging Obama in different ways. Again, I'd say this was Litho and it's full colour because it has photographic shots of meat. There we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment