Saturday, November 7, 2009

So alot has happened.

Ok so I've abandoned the paper fortune teller idea because it was getting me too hung up on details, so I've looked at the spinner idea more closely. I'm going to make it part of the front cover. I will show you templates and stuff on practice blog when i can be bothered to upload them! Anyway here is a little bit of what I've been looking at in terms of visual style:


As you can see, I want to take an illustrative approach, firstly because that's the kind of thing I can really get stuck into, secondly because I think it's the reverse of the usual visuals you find with politics (very smooth, very swish, very old graphics. see last post.) And therefore may be more engagin to students at universities and colleges who are sick of the same old thing. I like the fine detail in the hair above, I kind of want to apply that nice line work to my Obama illustration.


I picked this image and the one below because of the hand drawn type which I want to make part of my work. I really want to sell the hand crafted element, I think it will help make an engagement with my target audience who are generally apathetic to politics. The image below is amazing, it's actually cut out rather than drawn, wonderful.





Again this is a choice made because of the hand drawn element and the vivid colours that I intend to employ. I've started looking at using specific colours to represent different symbolic views of Obama, i.e. Red for communism. So this Image has kind of helped me a little bit in making colour choices.


Finally, this is a piece from a former third year who just graduated. Vicky Smith. I love her work and this kind of illustration is amazing. I don't intend to plagiarise her style, however I do feel that this piece does give alot of insight into the styles I'm thinking of working with.

No comments:

Post a Comment