Saturday, May 8, 2010

Physical advertising.

In bookshops:
I went to Waterstone's today, unfortunately I was stopped from taking photographs by a staff member, so I've tried to find photographs on the internet as best I can to substitute it. These images are really tiny, I guess it means that I'm going to have to get a few covert snaps of at least the shop windows when I'm out. It has several posters and banners of various formats in the shop windows, generally promoting offers, but some like a Twilight Saga banner, were for specific books. This picture from the internet kind of highlights what I mean:


I also briefly stopped outside of WHSmiths, they didn't appear to do much advertising inside beyond P.O.S. and inforgraphics, and all the shop window advertising was specifically for WHSmiths, with little focus on individual books and releases, more focus on deals, it isn't likely that they would put specific advertising for the book in their windows.


Other places

Traditionally books are advertised in adshels placed strategically on train platforms and tube/metro platforms. The thinking is that this is when a lot of people read in public space and so it's a good place advertise, whilst their headspace is focused on reading. I'm inclined to agree with this thinking, though it's good to think about other public spaces where people read:
-public transport in general
-libraries
This is all I can think of for now, I need to create a more comprehensive list of places to potentially advertise.

No comments:

Post a Comment