Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Deciding content:

20th century American classics:
The Great Gatsby
To Kill a Mockingbird
Gone with the wind
1984
Catch 22
Of Mice and Men
The Grapes of Wrath
Brave New World
Animal Farm
Native Son
The Catcher in The Rye
For Whom The Bell Tolls
The Bell Jar

From these, I've decided to pick ones I have read and ones I want to read (I can read them as part of the project, giving me an excuse to devote time to it.)

I've read:
Of Mice and Men
The Grapes of Wrath
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Catcher In The Rye

Of Mice and Men is far too small, so I'll use the grapes of wrath, Steinbeck's other novel form the list, which is considered his masterpiece.

I want to read:
The Great Gatsby
Catch-22
The Bell Jar

I have to include at least one female author, it's only fair. Gone with the wind is ridiculously long and so wouldn't fit, Sylvia Plath's the Bell Jar is a better fit.

Conclusive list:
To Kill a Mocking Bird –Harper Lee
The Catcher In The Rye –J. D. Salinger
The Grapes of Wrath –John Steinbeck
The Bell Jar –Sylvia Plath
The Great Gatsby –F. Scott Fitzgerald
Catch 22 –Joseph Heller
I think it's quite coherant list, they all deal with very human and very American issues and I'm looking forward to reading the 3 I haven't read in order to inform the content.

Next I'm going to look at book covers and possible ways to deliver it digitally.

No comments:

Post a Comment