Thursday, January 28, 2010

Hair Dryers

Ok so the brief for the image module today was to select a random object and represent it like an eye chart, below are a few examples. The challenge is to display the image across the different scales and have it visible and clear as to what it is from 20 feet away, this is designed to get us thinking about this in our own image work and how well it fits with the context where it will sit.


I just go the images above to give me a quick idea bout how the layout might need to work. Amber says to ignore the numbers at the side and the sort of line divides, I think this is probably a good idea however, I might include the lines stil because i think they're a nice aesthetic.


Ok so, then we had to pick a random object written on a pice of paper in a bag, I drew hairdryers which really really irritated me at the time. Anyway, I've seen quite a few 'out there' designs for hairdryers but part of the challenge is to create an immediately recognisable image. Below are some of the pictures I assosciate with the traditional shape of a hairdryer.



Traditional pictograms are good at this, they're designed specifically to be displayed and readable across a variety of scales and formats. Here are some for the London 2012 Olympics, they depict the sports they represent with great ease. My issue with stuff like this is that it's too dry and vectory. I would want my stuff to feel more organic and hand drawn.


I thought i'd show this as a BAD EXAMPLE of how image can be used over scale, these prints are too intricate and sketchy and alot of them I personally can't interpret... so it is a balancing acvt, if I make my images too ornate, I could end up with something as inddecypherale as these mad ol' pictograms.

No comments:

Post a Comment